The Peterson Air and Space Museum will hold a dedication ceremony for a new aircraft on display at 11:30 a.m. June 24.
The donated CF-188, also known as the Hornet, was part of the Royal Canadian Air Force from 1984 until it was decommissioned in 2007.
The aircraft, given to the U.S. Air Force Heritage Program by the Canadian government, is on loan to the Peterson museum. The donation highlights the joint mission and partnership between the U.S. and Canadian governments.
"We're very excited to receive the Hornet as part of the Peterson Air and Space Museum collection," said Gail Whalen, Peterson Air and Space Museum director. "It will help us share the joint U.S. and Canadian heritage and traditions that keep alive the stories of our military service men and women for all generations."
The Peterson museum contains 17 aircraft and 6 missiles, which tell the North American air defense story since the Cold War.
The aircraft was transferred from Bagotville, Quebec, to Colorado Springs in March, and its paint scheme commemorates Canada's and the United States' partnership within the North American Aerospace Defense Command, a binational military command formally established in 1958 by Canada and the United States to monitor and defend North American airspace.
The Hornet is used in Canada for air defense, air superiority, tactical support, training, aerobatic demonstration, and aerospace testing and evaluation, and is committed to protecting North America in support of NORAD missions.Attached Media Files: A donated CF-188, also known as the Hornet, was part of the Royal Canadian Air Force from 1984 until it was decommissioned in 2007. It is now on display at the Peterson Air and Space Museum. (U.S. Air Force photo)